Hey gents (and ladies),
Happy new year!
2011. Wow. 2010 just FLEW by! How did that even happen? It’s funny how fast the years go by as you get older, and I’m sure there’s no slowing down.
Lots of stuff happened this year for EG. We celebrated our first birthday not too long ago, and we’ve had some great discussions on this site. Thanks again to all my regular readers for your insight and conversation. I love seeing you guys interact in the comments and through Twitter and Facebook. As always, if you ever need to reach me, feel free to do so on the contact page. I read every email.
Remember “The Project”?
A couple weeks ago, I asked what do you want from me. I’ve gotten great responses, some more detailed than others, yet all seem to have this underlying theme:
How do I transition from College Schlep to Grown Man? And how do I do so when my wardrobe consists of mostly worn jeans and T-shirts, and I have an entry-level job with barely enough money for a weekend bar tab, let alone a new wardrobe curated by the editors of GQ Magazine?
All very valid questions. So, in 2011, I aim to create an über guide. Let’s consider it the Essential Guide to Wardrobe Transitioning: From College Schlep to Grown Man (totally just made this title up right now, and it’s not finalized at all.) Here are some topics (requested by you) that I’ve considered including in the guide:
- Where do I even start?
- What are the essential items?
- What are not necessarily essential, but really beneficial to have?
- What kind of suit should I get, if I can only afford one?
- Chinos: What’s the deal? How and where do I find a good pair?
- What is the happy medium between jeans / t-shirt and a suit?
- What looks good on different body types, different physical attributes?
- Common casual wear (going to the coffee shop, a game, the bar, the park)
- What goes best with brown shoes / black shoes?
- Carrying your stuff: what’s a good bag?
- Can you recommend a nice dressy coat?
- Can you recommend a nice casual jacket?
Here’s where you come in
What else can you suggest? I welcome any and all suggestions because I want to make this the most kick-ass über guide ever.
Please leave your suggestions in the comments below! And RT and Like this post (up at the top!) so we can reach as many people as possible. The more input the better.
Thanks, and I look forward to reading all your suggestions!