The following is a guest article from Michael Gilman over at groominglounge.com. He knows a thing or two about how men should clean up, having many years of experience under his belt. Listen to his advice.
If personal ads read like the following, most guys would never think about taking preventive measures to ward off premature aging:
Swedish bikini model seeks middle-aged male with wrinkled skin for fun with no commitment. Brown spots a plus.
But since ads like this don’t exist, it’s probably a good idea to take the steps necessary to keep skin looking young and fresh. Here’s a quick course designed to help that dermis stay forever young.
What are men worried about?
Recent research shows that men are most worried about the following when it comes to their skin and aging:
- Fine Lines: Wrinkles all around the face — particularly the eye and mouth area (often referred to as “Crow’s Feet”).
- Tired-Looking Skin: Skin that looks “worn out,” with no hint of softness or suppleness (sorry, we couldn’t think of any more macho words to use). We’re talking about a dull, coarse, leathery hide.
- Brown Spots: Small patches of discoloration on the face and neck.
What causes these issues?
Not to get too scientific, but collagen and elastin are the elements that keep skin looking soft and healthy. When these elements are damaged or reduced in volume, skin tends to go downhill and premature aging sets in. So, it’s important, where possible, to protect skin from outside forces that damage collagen and elastin.
It’s also important and obvious to note that while time and genetics certainly play a role in premature aging, it is universally agreed that a healthy lifestyle and skincare regimen can mitigate negative factors and results.
Things to avoid
This stuff wreaks havoc on collagen and elastin and affects your skin’s appearance:
- Major Sun Exposure: Betcha didn’t know that 99% of all premature aging is the result of sun exposure. Such exposure causes a massive attack of free radicals that cause wrinkling, sagging and damage to that precious collagen and elastin.
- Smoking: The damage to skin can be significant, but is still probably the least of a smoker’s worries.
- Unhealthy Lifestyle: Sleep deprivation, ongoing stress, heavy drinking and poor nutrition have a direct effect on the skin’s appearance.
Things to do
Whether you’re trying to avoid premature aging all together or just slow it down, follow these golden rules:
- Wear Sunscreen: Slap on a moisturizer with an SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 15 or more every single morning. Avoid unprotected sun exposure.
- Follow A Solid Skincare Routine: Remember the letters CSP – Cleanse, Scrub and Protect. To find a daily routine that’s right for you, click here.
- Quit Smoking: That’s it… just knock it off.
- Live Healthy: Eat well, take vitamins, and get some sleep and exercise.
Grooming Lounge tip
One of the easiest steps in maintaining younger-looking skin involves drinking a lot… of water that is. Eight glasses a day. Chug-a-lug.
A little more about Grooming Lounge:
Grooming Lounge is one of the country’s premiere destinations for men’s grooming solutions, boasting a comprehensive e-commerce and instructional web site, several upscale barbershops in the Washington, DC area and the company’s own lineup of shaving and hair care solutions.
Note: All links within article aren’t affiliate links, just links to the groominglounge.com store.
Learn a few shortcuts to dressing well
Enter your first name and email, and I'll send you a free eGuide with quick and easy tips you can use today.