Summer is coming. The sun will take a toll on your hair and skin.
Not only that, summer is the season you spend the most time outside. So if you’re trying to catch someone special’s eye, you’ll want to be well groomed. (You’re working on that summer body, right?).
No need to worry about the sun and heat this summer. Just use these 7 summer grooming hacks to look your best.
1 – Beach Hair (How to get it — or get rid of it)
It happens to all of us in the summer – you go to the beach, get in the water, lay out in the sun. And at the end of the day, depending on your style, your hair can look awesome — or awful.
You get beach hair from sea salt drying in your hair. It gives you a “just rolled out of bed” appearance that looks great on some guys – especially if you have fine, straight, or wavy hair.
Want to get the look without spending the day at the beach? Or to learn how to remove the beach-look without harming your hair? We’ve got both summer grooming hacks for you.
How to Get Beach Hair
For starters, don’t try this right after washing your hair. It will come out best if it’s been about a day since you’ve used shampoo. That way your hair has plenty of natural oils to help give volume and texture.
Apply a flexible-hold styling product. You don’t want a hard gel that’s going to cement your hair in place.
Feeling brave and want to go DIY? Try making your own salt spray that mimics the effects of the ocean water. All you need is some sea salt and a hydrating oil, like coconut or jojoba.
Remember, the spent-all-day-at-the-beach look is windswept and unrefined. Use your hands to work in your product, not a brush or comb. That way you wind up with the wavy beach look.
How to Get Rid of Beach Hair
A basic hair care routine can get your hair back to normal in three steps:
- Wash your hair with a gentle, natural shampoo that gets rid of sweat and sea salt without stripping away natural oils.
- Use a men’s conditioner to restore your hair’s natural shine and keep it hydrated. This is especially important if you have dry hair. A long day in the sun is sure to leave it dehydrated and damaged.
- Pat your hair dry and style as normal.
2 – Beat the Sunburn Blues
The sun gets a bad rep. Companies that sell SPF products push that you need SPF all day long. But that’s not necessarily true.
Your body is built to withstand reasonable amounts (30 minutes or so) of sun exposure. And that exposure comes with a whole host of benefits (like helping you produce vitamin D).
However, most guys overdo it and stay out in the sun far too long without proper protection. And that’s if they even apply sunscreen properly in the first place.
Want to protect your skin from the sun? Use these summer grooming hacks.
1 – Choose the right product
You want broad-spectrum sun protection with SPF 15 or higher. Waterproof and sweat-proof formulas are best. If you haven’t used an old bottle for a while, make sure it hasn’t expired.
2 – Apply sunscreen before going outside
Your skin can’t instantly absorb your sunscreen. It takes dry skin about 15 minutes to properly soak it in. So if you’re applying sunscreen daily before heading out, make sure you give yourself enough time.
If you’re going to the beach, apply your waterproof sunscreen before you get out on the sand. That way it won’t stick to you. And you won’t be tempted to skip the sunscreen because you’re too excited to get in the surf.
Remember, if you apply and then run straight into the water, the ocean will rinse off most of your sun protection. That will leave you cooking in the sunshine. Bad move.
3 – Don’t be stingy
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, it takes “about the amount you can hold in your palm” to properly cover your skin with sunscreen. Be generous. This is no time to get stingy.
4 – Cover everything
Any exposed skin should be protected. Get help from a friend for those hard to reach places on your back or use a spray-on product. If your hair is thinning, apply some sunscreen to your scalp too. And don’t forget your lips. A lip balm with SPF will protect them from a painful burn.
5 – Reapply
Even waterproof and sweat-proof sunscreen should be reapplied every few hours. It only takes a few minutes and can protect you from sunburn and help prevent skin cancer. So yeah, it’s totally worth any slight inconvenience.
What if, despite your best efforts, you still manage to get burnt? No worries, there are summer grooming hacks for that too.
Use a soothing aloe cream or body lotion to cool your skin and help it recover. If your face is burned, make sure to slather it with a hydrating face moisturizer.
Keep your lotion in the fridge for an extra cooling effect that feels amazing when you’re suffering through a sunburn.
3 – Prevent Summer Sweat and Oil Build-Up on Your Face
If you have oily skin, summer can be the worst. The slight shine you normally have on your face gets exponentially worse thanks to the sunny, sweaty conditions.
Use these quick, easy summer grooming hacks to prevent the excess build-up that can lead to shine and acne.
- Wash. Use a men’s face wash designed for oily skin. A product with gentle cleansers is best. That way you remove excess oil without dehydrating your face with harsh detergents. Excessive face washing can stimulate an over-production of oil – so don’t go overboard.
- Exfoliate. Guys with oily skin should use men’s face scrub about 3 times per week. Exfoliating will remove the dead skin, pore impurities, and oil that build up on your skin. That kills the oily shine and gives you a fresh, clean complexion.
- Moisturize. Yes, you should moisturize — even if you have oily skin. It will protect your skin from dehydration in the sun while also giving you a healthy, natural look.
Guys with oily skin should only apply moisturizer once daily after using face wash or scrub, either in the morning or at night before bed. If you have normal skin, apply twice – in the morning and evening.
4 – Body Hair Maintenance
Growing hair on your body is one of the privileges of being a man. However, with that privilege comes great responsibility.
You need to take care of all that hair. Otherwise, your beach body is going to just be a big, hairy turn-off. How can you avoid that? Use these summer grooming hacks.
First, maintain balance
If you’ve got a traditional, short men’s hairstyle and go clean-shaven, balance that look with natural or neatly trimmed body hair.
On the other hand, what If you’ve got a big bushy beard? It will look a bit jarring to have the rest of your body shaved.
For your legs, arms, and chest, the rule of balance also applies. Leaving your chest hair to grow wild but shaving your arms and legs is a deal-breaker.
Second, back hair is bad
Always. This is one immutable, eternal law of body grooming.
Yes, it’s hard to shave it yourself. But that’s no excuse. Find help. Or get it waxed. This is a must for your summer beach look.
Third, don’t get carried away
If you’re new to the idea of body grooming (or manscaping, if you prefer), remember that easy does it. Your goal is to trim down any especially thick or long hairs.
For example: Don’t let what you originally intended to be a slight trim of your pubic area become a shave-a-thon. You want to do some light pruning, not scorch the earth.
5 – Get a Tan without Getting Burnt
We already discussed avoiding a sunburn in #2 of our summer grooming hacks. Now consider how to get a tan without burning your skin.
Because a summer tan always looks good. But red, sensitive, peeling skin is bad news.
You still need to use sunscreen, even if you want to get a tan. But reach for a lower SPF – think 15 or below.
Along with that, use a body lotion with coconut oil, vitamin E, and aloe. These ingredients help darken your skin quicker and enhance the look of your natural tan.
To avoid a burn, stay out of the sun during the most intense hours of the day. Lay out in the morning and late afternoon instead. You’ll still get the healthy summer glow you’re seeking, but with a considerably reduced risk of sunburn.
When you do lay out, don’t overdo it. The greatest risk of sunburn is relaxing too much and falling asleep out in the sunshine. Set an alarm on your phone or ask a friend to remind you to get out of the sun after a brief session. Better safe than sorry.
6 – Rock Your Summer Beard without Sweating to Death
If you have a beard, you know how torturous the summer can be. Sure, you’re proud of your luxurious facial hair. And with good reason. But underneath, your skin is getting sweaty, itchy and irritated.
Use these summer grooming hacks and beard maintenance tips to stay cool.
- Trim for summer. Unless you’re a die-hard long beard advocate, consider trimming your facial hair a bit shorter for the summer. It will be cooler, easier to deal with, and all around less sweaty.
- Keep it clean. Make sure you’re washing your beard a few times each week. That will remove sweaty buildup and keep you looking and feeling better.
- Moisturize. The hair under your beard can get dry and irritated easily during the summer. Use beard oil to moisturize your facial hair and the sensitive skin underneath.
- Spritz. Put some cold water in a small spray bottle and give your beard a little spritz when it’s hot out. It’s like strapping a mini swamp cooler to your face. Which is to say, it feels great.
7 – Don’t Forget about Grooming while Traveling
Sure, a cheap nylon bag will do. But it looks terrible and will show wear and tear after just a few trips. Go with a quality leather Dopp bag. It will last basically forever and gives you a much more refined look.
- Skin Care – Face wash, Face moisturizer, Body lotion, Sunscreen, Lip balm
- Shower Gear – You could bring along separate soap and shampoo, but we recommend saving space with a hair, face, and body all-in-one wash instead.
- Hair Care – Comb, Styling product
- Oral Care – Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Floss
- Shave Gear – Razor (with replacements if you use cartridges, though we recommend a safety razor), Shave cream, Aftershave. Because you don’t want razor burn and bumps on the road.
- First Aid – Band Aids, Aspirin, Antacids, Anti-Diarrhea meds
- Miscellaneous – Lint roller, Nail clippers, Safety pins, Extra pair of contacts, $20 bill
Enjoy the Season
When it comes down to it, the whole point of these tips and summer grooming hacks is simple. Enjoy the summer!
It’s the best time of year to get outdoors and soak up the sun. Make every moment count – and look your best while you’re at it.